Yuthika Peiris is our latest Beet It Sport Malaysia ambassador!
Yuthika hails from the beautiful island of Sri Lanka and has made Malaysia his home for the last 14 years. An amateur athlete focusing on Ironman 70.3 distance and sprint distance triathlon, Yuthika is also an experienced cinematographer and a multimedia producer. Despite an unusual 2020, Yuthika has continued to train hard and is looking forward to competiting in the Ironman 70.3 World Championship 2022 in Taupo, New Zealand, of which he qualified for in Ironman Langkawi in 2019.
1. Have you always been active in sports?
Yes I have been, ever since I was 7 years old.
2. How did you get involved in triathlon?
I began running again after being away from sports for almost 10 years. I started to run because I felt I wasn’t fit and healthy enough. I was constantly falling sick because of the smoking, alcohol, parties and my lifestyle in general. The first thing I did was to give up smoking immediately and I told myself I would get my fitness back. As I kept running, I was slowly getting better, breaking PB’s and setting goals. Down this road, I met many great people who were super helpful and this opened me up to multisport disciplines. I told myself that with the swimming background I have, Triathlon would be something that I can explore and I challenged myself to do, so here I am 😊
3. How has Covid-19 impacted your workout and how did you adjust?
4. What is your biggest motivation to keep pushing your limits of performance?
5. What are your top three nutrition tips?
- Know your body, eat what makes you happy to perform better.
- Focus on your recovery food (very important).
- Make sure to fuel right during workouts. Keep yourself hydrated and energized.
6. How has Beet It Sport helped your sporting performance?
7. Anything additional you would like to say about Beet It Sport?
When I was first told that there is this beetroot drink that can help you increase and maintain sports performance, I didn’t buy it all. I had to try Beet It Sport for a week and at that specific time, I had a race coming. So the timing was just right and I was like … wow … I felt the difference and it’s not the same feeling that you get from an energy drink but it’s something that you load in to your system prior and unload it when your body needs it the most. I love beetroot in general and it’s a big win for me. Love the taste and how easy and quick I can consume it, even on the go!